Transferring everything to Mac for viewing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ThunderRoad, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ThunderRoad macrumors member

Hi guys, I'll warn you in advance I'm something of a luddite. I'll try and keep this as simple as possible.

I have the iPhone of a deceased friend of mine. I'd like to transfer everything from it onto a Mac. It's for my friends parents, so I need it not just in the form of a backup that I can reload, but actually having files and whatnot available for them to view on their desktop.

Basically interested in having stuff like...

iPhone messages
    Photos
    Whatsapp messages
    Voicemail

Is there any way I can transfer all this, so that I can essentially give them files where they can scroll through all past messages etc? Don't want to get involved with iCloud. They're quite old and wouldn't be able to use it. I want a simple repository resource if such a thing exists.

Thanks

2. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

You can backup the phone data on a PC or a Mac using iTunes. You can then view photos stored on the device. To view the iPhone messages, you may need a third-party app, like an SQL viewer. You'll also need a third-party app for extracting and saving Voicemails. You can send all the WhatsApp messages via email. They will be sent in .txt format and you'll be able to retrieve them from the email client itself. Needless to say, you must have your friend's iPhone password for doing any of this.

3. ThunderRoad thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks a lot for replying. Yes I have the passcode, and I've worked out how to transfer Whatsapp conversations one by one like you said, though I'm doing it via Airdrop instead.

I'll have a look into the third party apps I guess.

4. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

There are plenty of them and quite easy to find online. Hope it works out for you. Also, I'm sorry for your friend.