Transferring everything to my new mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evan12345, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Evan12345 macrumors newbie

So I bought my 13" macbook pro in 2009, and now need a better system. I plan to buy the new 15" macbook pro with upgraded specs and wanted to know if it is possible to transfer ALL of my applications and data over to it before I make the switch. Also, let's just say not all of my apps were acquired legally and I wanted to know if this would affect the transfer. Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated thanks!

2. MJNBGA macrumors regular

Haha you're a bit like me... :D

3. Evan12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. schataut macrumors member

I recently used the MA to transfer my stuff from 2008 MBP to a 2011 MBP - transfer went well with no errors. However my new MBP was very slow - I would keep getting the beach ball even while opening closing text editors. So I formatted the HD and reinstalled the OS and manually installed all the apps and copied my pictures/music etc. Later I was talking to Apple support and mentioned the issue I had - their response was not to transfer the "preferences" which could have caused that issue. I am done for now - but will be going through that all over again - since I had to return my MBP due to the screen issue - whites are slightly yellow instead of white :mad:

5. Evan12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok update:

I now want to know if it's possible to have some of the applications on both my new and my old macbook, because I want to increase the value of my old macbook while still keeping the applications on my new one.

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I highly doubt the licenses for the programs you've purchased state that you can share licenses with other users (which is essentially what you're doing).

Also, piracy is easy; people really wont care that it has a ton of apps on it.

7. Evan12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, I guess I was just being lazy :p

8. simsaladimbamba