Transferring everything to new MacBook Air: question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by relax11, Aug 11, 2011.

1. relax11 macrumors newbie

I'm using a time machine back-up to transfer stuff on my iMac to a new Macbook Air with limited space. Will I have the option to select which stuff to migrate because there isn't enough space to migrate everything. My goal is to have certain software (Office, Filemaker) transfer over so I can I have full functionality with those programs on my Air. I realize that I will have to de-activiate the license on one computer in order to use the software on another, but wanted to know if I will get the option with a time machine back-up to manually move stuff.

2. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

You don't get the option as far as I know to select individual apps for transfer. I wanted to do a similar thing when I bought my MBA but there doesn't seem to be a very good automated process if you want to be picky about what gets transferred over.

Instead, I did it this way:

• Synced everything possible via MobileMe (including keychains etc)
    • Installed individual apps via the original disks, or by downloading trial versions and then entering my previously purchased serial number,
    • Used an external drive and Dropbox to transfer files and folders I wanted

A bit time consuming, but also had the advantage of being able to start 'from fresh' so I know I haven't transferred over anything unnecessary.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You can sync whatever apps you want; simply go into the Application folder and create a folder inside that, move the apps you want to move in it, then choose that folder specifically in TM.

Simple as that. You also have the choice to choose what you want to restore when you're migrating over.

Of course, move all the settings files and whatnot over as well (doesn't take up that much space) and then move the applications back into the default Application folder on the new machine.

You could also just use CarbonCopyCloner as that lets you back up individual folders (or the whole drive) at will.

4. kenglade macrumors 6502

Word of warning. I just learned a hard lesson in migrating from my iMac to a new MBP using Migration Assistant. Don't. The trouble came with Office (I runOffcie for Mac 2011). It so screwed up on both computers. The MBP HD was so messed up that I had to take it in, have the HD wiped and start over. MS does =not play well= when attempting to migrate. My solution was just to do a clean install of Office on my new MBP. Apparently Migration Assistant picked up setting from my iMac which conflicted with settings on my MBP. I realize you don't have an optical drive on the Air but I would advise caution.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

This is a word of knowledge I would remember as well. I read it time and time again when people remember to bring it up: Microsoft Office does not transfer that well. Now for some reason, I backed it up and simply migrated to my new MBP with no problems whatsoever...so I guess I got lucky.

But yea, make the precautions to uninstall and then reinstall on the new machine or something.