Transferring files and settings between accounts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by noSpeed, Apr 24, 2010.

1. noSpeed macrumors newbie

As a new mac user, I'm doing a lot of homework on security. I found out that on major tool is to create a standard user account, and use that for daily use-which I have done. The problem is that in the short time I've had my mac, I've put thousands of files and installed programs and changed settings.

Is there any way for me to transfer all this data to my new standard account? I've looked into Migration assistant, but that only works with 2 computers. I'd also like to avoid setting the new account as the admin and setting the old account as standard.

Any ideas from experienced users?

2. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Just create a new user account and also make this an admin-account (set the option that this user can administer this computer).

Log in into this account and remove the same option from your previous account - voila - it becomes a standard user account - no need to transfer settings.

3. noSpeed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I realize this is an option, but I read somewhere on this forum that the very first account will still store some info that I won't have with the new admin account. Or was that incorrect?

4. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Well, I can not answer this question for lack of information, but I would not think that the very first account has anything special associated with it.

The only problem that I see is that the permission change could not be complete, or that you have installed something that requires admin permissions. In this case you can simply reverse the settings - you can have more than one admin account...