Transferring Files Between College and Home Over Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iShipwrecked, Aug 13, 2012.

1. iShipwrecked macrumors newbie

Does anyone know a good way to transfer files (like up to 10 GB) between two macs over the internet? Basically I'm trying to replicate the simplicity of home sharing where I can connect to my fathers computer, and only have access to his public folder (and have him be able to do the same to me). Since I will be living out of state for College, having the ability to do this would be quite helpful.

- Dropbox's free file limit it too small for my needs

- I did enable back to my mac on my home airport, but if I'm understanding how it works correctly, I can access my my father's computer from school, but my father would not be able to access my school computer from home.

- I also tried using a SFTP client, but that gives total access to each computer, and I cannot find a way to limit SFTP to a single directory (like the public folder).

(Should also mention all our computers are running Mountain Lion)

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Box.net .

Messages chat and then start a Screen Sharing.

Start a VPN server at home and VPN into the turned on Mac at home?

3. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I am no IT expert - but I used a VPN for years

in a small business and it worked extremely well. Highly recommended. You just need to acquire the skills to set it up and keep it running which is not terribly difficult.

4. aZZaneko macrumors newbie

aZZaneko

If the way Dropbox works suits you fine, you can always put little effort in upping your free space to 18GB or so there. Alternatively http://disk.yandex.com provides similar functionality and they give 10GB right away.

5. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

Cubby seems to be what you're looking for. It's a service very similar to Dropbox, however it offers unlimited P2P syncing between multiple computers.
    Storage limits only apply to cubbies that are synced to the cloud. You get 5GB of cloud storage for free though.

There are desktop clients for OS X, iOS, Windows and Android.

For now, it's invite only, but I still have a couple of invites. If you're interested simply PM me a valid email address and I'll invite you.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can use Microsoft Skydrive. They offer 7GB for free, an additional 20GB for $10 a year.

They offer client apps for Mac and Windows for syncing.