transferring files between macs...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by manof1000faces, Nov 9, 2011.

1. manof1000faces macrumors newbie

hello all. i recently bought a macbook pro and i need to transfer some files from my old mac onto my new machine. the problem is that the screen on the old mac is broken - the machine will switch on but the screen stays black (this is the reason i bought a new mac in the first place). i was wondering if there's a way to do the transfer even though the screen on one of the machines is broken. any help appreciated.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hook up an external monitor??

3. manof1000faces thread starter macrumors newbie

tried that, but when i did it all my files disappeared for some reason.

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

That makes no sense...An external monitor wouldn't affect your files in any way.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Take the drive out of the broken Mac and put it in an external disk enclosure. Then connect it to your new computer as an external drive and transfer your files. This also gives you an external drive to use for backups or additional file storage.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Probably because the default setup is for the second monitor to extend your desktop, but the internal display to remain the primary. Pressing Command-F1 on the keyboard will switch to mirrored display mode, which will allow you to see all of your files.

jW