Transferring files between Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CinnamonPillow, Apr 14, 2009.

1. CinnamonPillow macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm new to this site and ive been looking at it the past couple of days and decided to register. But my question is I have a macbook running 10.4.11 and I have another macbook running 10.5 is there anyway to transfer files between those 2 computers? or no? thanks for your help if anyone reply's

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Do you have a wireless network? If not, do you have a USB flash drive? If not, do you have an external hard drive?

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

of course...online uploads, DVD's, flash drives, external hard drives, over the network, with a Ethernet connection between the two. You need to be more specific about what you have at your disposal.

4. Magicland macrumors newbie

Can you do it by a USB cable between two macs?

How?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, but you can do with a FireWire or ethernet cable, or if the two computers are on the same network, wireless or otherwise.

6. CinnamonPillow thread starter macrumors newbie

yea they will be on the same same network i do no have a firewire cable or an ethernet cable. and i wanted to transfer programs I have adobe photoshop and final cut studios on my old macbook but lost the cd's for them was wondering if it was possible to send them over the same network

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you have a network, you can just drag and drop the programs/files between computers.

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Get a firewire cable. You can transfer files very quickly with one.

Plug the two macs up, restart one of them and hold down T. This will make it a external hard drive. Then navigate to the files you want on the other mac.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Depends on how much files you are transferring

For network transfer, go into system preferences / sharing
    and turn on Personal File Sharing

Fast

Firewire 800 or Gigabit ethernet
    Ethernet

much slower: wifi

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

That woeks but it's a lot slower than using firewire or ethernet cables.

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

To the OP: Kust go to  -> System Preferences -> Sharing and check the File Sharing option in the list. That computer should appear in the Finder sidebar of the other computer.

So? The OP hasn't said what kind of files. Anyway, 54 or 108 Mbps is plenty fast enough for me.

12. CinnamonPillow thread starter macrumors newbie

i did say what files i wanted to transfer i want to transfer adobe photoshop and final cut pro. But anyways say i didnt have access to a firewire cable tonight and had to get it done tonight how long would transfering over wifi take?

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oops, sorry, missed the second post.

I'd estimate the transfer to take 15 minutes tops. However, bear in mind that simply copying the Photoshop application from /Applications won't do it. Adobe gets everywhere, so you'll have to do a fresh install on the destination computer. Final Cut may work, although you'll have to re-enter your serial number.

14. CinnamonPillow thread starter macrumors newbie

I see...im not at home right now im at work but would anyone know if there is a way to actually a full install of adobe without the disk? im missing 1 of the disc to install it. same thing with final cut if anyone knows

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't know how you'd transfer Photoshop, but Final Cut could be transferred manually if you knew where to look. The problem is that it has a few packages that you'd have to chase down:

Attached Files: