Transferring files from a PC to a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pecans, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Pecans macrumors member

So a few months ago I got a Mac Mini and just recently I have found a lot of cd's at a garage sale I would like to get onto my Mac. My old Vista laptop has a cd drive and I was wondering how I could set it up so I can access my pc's hard drive via either a ethernet, USB or Firewire cable. Cd sharing does not work with music for some reason (Copyright I'm guessing.) I know I could just copy it to a flash drive and then paste it onto my mac but I would like an easier solution since I will be transferring around 30 gb's of music when my flash drive is only 1gb. (I bought a lot of cd's and I import them at highest quality). Any way to view my Pc's hard drive via wired connection? Would I have to boot into some sort of transfer mode like the mac has on the Pc to get access to the files?

2. scottfreeman macrumors newbie

scottfreeman

Connect a standard ethernet cable between the two computers. They should identify each other straight away.

Share either the source folder on Windows or the destination folder on Mac, and copy across.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

If they're both on the same network:
    With the Finder menu on the menu bar, click on Go then Connect to Server, or use CMD-K.
    Type in smb://PCNAME/c$ where PCNAME is the name of your computer (right click Computer and click Properties, it will be somewhere in the resulting dialog or one of the ones linked off it depending on the OS). Click Connect
    In the resulting dialog, select to connect as a registered user, enter your login name and password for the PC, not the Mac and click Continue.

Alternative, set the folders you want to copy as shared, find the computer in the "Shared" list in Finder, when you go to open the shared device it will say failed, click "Connect As.." in the grey bar at the top of the Finder window and login as above.

4. Pecans thread starter macrumors member

Thanks think ill try this.