Transferring files from an external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattportner, Mar 5, 2013.

1. mattportner macrumors member

Hi all,

I've been trying to transfer a large collection of photos and video files from an old external harddrive over to my MBP. The majority of the files transfer just fine, but there's a small percentage of the files that are apparently not read/writable which stops the transfer and cancels the whole process.

Is there any better way to do this? I basically just want to transfer everything that is read/writable without the transfer canceling and without having to move each file individually.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"The majority of the files transfer just fine, but there's a small percentage of the files that are apparently not read/writable which stops the transfer and cancels the whole process."

You're going to have to start taking some notes, and discover (and record) _which_ files are [apparently] corrupted and gumming up the process.

I would start by transferring things "a little at a time", rather than in one action.

Perhaps "one top-level folder" at a time. If the first folder makes it without problems, make a note of it, then move to the next one, etc., etc.

When you get to one that has problems, then you might open it, look around inside, and try transferring those contents piecemeal. The idea is to "isolate" the bad files, and "work around" them to get the good stuff over.

Sounds like over time, the drive may have had a few blocks go bad on you, and now they won't read properly during a "group transfer"...