Transferring files from G4 laptop to new iMac desktop

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MysticGirl, Dec 1, 2011.

1. MysticGirl macrumors newbie

Help! I tried wireless, which didn't work. So, I got an adapter for a firewire cable, which is now plugged into both Macs. While using Migration Assistant, it doesn't give me the option of selecting Firewire, it just goes to searching for my old computer.
    It also tells me that I need to upgrade Migration Assistant on my old computer (I believe it's version 2004-2005). Now when I go to Software Update on my G4, it doesn't bring up Migration Assistant as something I can upgrade. My G4 has OS 10.4.11.

Any idea what I should do next? Or where to find an upgrade for Migration Assistant that will work with my G4? I'm pretty good at trouble-shooting, but need a little hand-holding when it comes to this techie stuff.

A million thanks!
    MysticGirl

2. simsaladimbamba

You could just boot the iBook in Target Disk Mode and migrate from the now visible iBook HDD.

Btw, with "adapter" do you mean an actual Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 cable?
    [​IMG]

3. MysticGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yes, I needed a 400-800 Firewire adapter.

In reading about Target Disk Mode, it seems I should put my new iMac in Target Disk Mode--correct?

4. simsaladimbamba

No, the iBook, as noted before.

5. MysticGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, G4 ibook is in Target mode. Now what? (eek!)

6. MysticGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!!

It worked, or was working, though now it's stuck-- the screen says "less than one minute remaining", and has been stuck on this for 45 minutes.

Suggestions?

Thanks again,

MysticGirl