Transferring files from HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Abazigal, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating installing a small SSD (~240gb) drive on my 27" imac, but have some reservations I was hoping you could tackle for me. I will be engaging the services of a hardware vendor to get it done for me, so that is not an issue.

What I am concerned about are the files on my existing HDD. How might I go about transferring the critical system files that I want benefiting from flash onto the SSD after it has been installed? I don't think I can just drag and drop?

I understand what some people suggest is to first back up my imac, then do a fresh re-install of lion, finally restore. However, I downloaded my copy of lion directly off the app store, so how would I get another copy? Is it possible to just get it from the app store again?

Also, I have a lot of files on my HDD, more than the SSD I will be installing. Is it possible for me to choose what gets restored to where?

Lastly, for backing up, can I just use any external HDD? I do not have time capsule, nor do I really have a habit of backing up my computer as my work-related stuff is either on dropbox or thumbdrive, so do excuse my ignorance in this aspect.

Plus any other tips and advice before I get it done?

Thank you all for your advice. :)

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Incredibly simple to do, get an external HD and use either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone of your existing HD. Install the new SSD, format and then boot from the clone and copy back to the SSD.

Regarding your license of Lion, please carefully read:

http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

all you need is an Internet connection and you also may need http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

3. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

So let me see if I get the sequence correct (and thank you for your patience).

1) Create backup on external HDD (just in case something goes wrong).
    2) Install SSD (this will be in addition to my HDD, so I will then have 2 drives).
    3) Drag any relevant files over to the SSD (it's that straightforward?). So on my Mactinosh HD finder, I could say, drag my applications folder over to the new SSD drive. And the programs would be moved over, and load from there?
    4) Do I need to download a fresh copy of lion onto the SSD after formatting? :confused: