Transferring files from iMac to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Captain Planet, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Hey everyone!

So, I just got my MBP, and I wanted to transfer my files from my iMac to my MacBook Pro. Anyways, I follow the steps, and since I didn't have a fire wire cable, I used an ethernet cable. So, I typed in the passcode, but then it always give me an error message saying it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong? Did I need to be connected on the internet at the same time?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You don't need to be connected to the internet.

What steps did you follow?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you're using an ethernet cable then no internet connection is needed. When you say it doesn't work after you type your password do you mean the password isn't accepted or the actual transfer doesn't work?

4. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Well, the ones on the MacBook Pro, it says "Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 that came with this computer and install the DVD or CD Sharing Setup software."

Then, I connected both computers with an ethernet cable, it was one of the choices.

After that, it says to open Migration Assistant and enter the passcode which is indicated on the MacBook Pro...

I think I might be missing something at the part where it says to install the Sharing Setup software. What do they mean by that? Like, they way I understood this was I put in the Install Disc that came with the MBP and put it in my iMac, right? Then I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

hmm interesting, I will wait for an answer as well....
    I will be getting a MBP soon too and want to transfer all data from my iMac to MBP without having to use time machine since that'll take forever and there is room for error. I, just like you, do not have a firewire cable, but only an ethernet. I was gonna make this exact post too :p

Are you using migration assistant? That seems like it would be the only program to do it with...

Is this a new MBP or older? For instance, when I installed SL I was presented with a screen with the option to make the transfer from migration assistant. And if I remember correctly, there was an option to choose from a time machine backup or directly from another computer...I just never found out if it works through ethernet....

Maybe right now, try this....go to spotlight and type in "migration assistant" and open up the program, enter password, then "to another mac" and see if it comes up there??

6. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

I mean the transfer doesn't work. But then, it changes the code every time it doesn't work... so I change the code then.

7. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

I don't understand the part with the CD... am I suppose to take the Disc 1 from the MacBook Pro and put into my iMac? This is where I can I may be doing it wrong...

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

You don't need the DVDs to transfer files. Just plug in ethernet to both computers and set up file sharing.

9. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Okay, but that's still what I did and for some reason it didn't work... I used an ethernet cable. Do I need to be on Migration Assistant on both computers? Or just the one I'm transferring stuff onto?

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Connect by ethernet cable and then try accessing the hard drive on your old computer through a Finder window. Once that drive is open on your new computer, MA should work.

11. skattle91 macrumors newbie

12. lostime macrumors regular

I wouldn't even use migration assistant I would right click on airport at the top of the screen and "create network" then have the other computer connect to your created network. You should be able to access one computer with the other wirelessly and then copy the files you need.

The only problem I see with using an ethernet cable is you'd probably need a crossover cable or go through a switch or router.

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Then you won't get any of your login files. You'll spend a lot of time resetting those. MA is the best way.

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. If you want to keep settings and what not, Migration Assistant is the best way. If you just need files, than any method would do.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Get a firewire cable and use Target Disk Mode.

16. ruffNstuff macrumors newbie

You need migration assistant running on both computers... DONT create a disk image and copy that over.... that will most probably cause problems in the... future... also check the format on each drive (right click-get info each disk).. should say Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or Mac OS Extended (Case sensitive Journaled)..
    if it is a new computer then call mac and get some award winning service.

17. pixelator30 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem as "Captain Planet"

I have exactly the same problem as Captain Planet. I just bought a new Mac Book Pro and wanted to migrate my old PowerBook G4 (Mac OS X Tiger) onto the new Mac Book Pro (Snow Leopard). I don't have a firewire cable, but I do have an Ethernet Cable.

When I try to connect using Ethernet in the Migration Assistant, it tells me to insert the Mac OS X Install Disk 1 (the one that came with the new computer) into my old Mac, and then to install "DVD or CD Sharing Setup" software on my old Mac. And then to Open Migration Assistant on my old Mac and type in a passcode (displayed on the new computer's screen). But I never get to that because I am unable to complete the first step (the one about "DVD or CD Sharing Setup").

When I inserted the disk (the Mac OS X one that came with the new computer) into the old Mac, nothing happened. I then opened the CD-ROM in the Finder, and tried running some applications. I only see an installer for Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) which I don't want to run as I don't want to install Snow Leopard on my old Mac (it is PowerPC-based so it wouldn't work anyway). I clicked on "Optional Installs.mpkg", and I get "Open Failed", "Couldn't open Optional Installs.mpkg". So at this point I am confused about what to do. (and btw, I've been using Macs for 4 years, and I use one on a regular basis at work)

So where is this "DVD or CD Sharing Setup" that I need to install on my old Mac?

I don't want to ignore this first step, because I do want everything to be transferred correctly. I don't feel comfortable just jumping into the second step.

I guess I'll have to call a Mac Genius tomorrow to get this working. But it would be nice if it were to work out of the box... Would save me the time to write this post, and make the call and explain the problem tomorrow.

Any suggestions ? This could be a common problem. Many thanks. :)

18. raydot macrumors newbie

The problem is that the directions are horrible! :confused:

You don't need the disk. What you need to do is set up an Ethernet connection in the computer you're transferring from.

1. Turn Airport off on the source computer to make doubly sure you don't use Airport by mistake (very slow).

2. System Preferences -> Network. Add an Ethernet connection if you don't have one already, and make sure it uses DHCP.

3. System Preferences -> Sharing. Turn on "DVD or CD Sharing" and follow the directions.

4. Then, plug in your new mac, and when the Ethernet connection lights up on the old mac you should be ready to start migration.

Hope that helps!