transferring files from leopard to windows on imac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ruti, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Ruti macrumors newbie

i would like to transfer an Illustrator file (.ai) on my new iMac, from the mac to Windows that I have on the same computer. In Windows I have a software that can read the .ai format. How do I do it without restarting the computer? is it possible? thanks a lot, Ruti

2. RoninXI macrumors regular

Well you would have to boot to windows to view it any way so I think in this instance the point is mute, but that does not answer your question.

I am assuming since you cannot write to the partition you are like me and using ntfs format for your drive (don't worry this is ok.) You can use MacFUSE with NTFS-3G, here is a quote from Lifehack.org
    You can read the rest Here the site also includes links to what you need to run MacFUSE and NTFS-3G.

HFSX or for a hefty $49.95 macdrive both read the HFS+ (mac format) partition within Windows if you wish to do it that way. I use HFSX and pull items from the OSX partition and vise-versa when on OSX, I never write to either drive if i need a file I get it while booted to the OS i want the file on to open the file on, mistakes happen but they happen a lot less often when you use this method.

3. Ruti thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

i didnt understand what you wrote - but i will show it to my tech guy. thanks a lot

4. TimJF macrumors newbie

The NTFS-3G package really has become quite the user-friendly utility. It comes with a script that can configure your system to auto-mount using the read/write NTFS-3G driver instead of the read-only default.

I was glad to delete my dodgy home-made applescript that was doing a mediocre job of performing these tasks.

5. joemama2413 macrumors member

if you have fusion or parallels you can just drag and drop from your mac desktop into the windows one. just create a VM on your boot camp partition