Transferring files from one mac to another via ethernet cable. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macgirl11, Oct 4, 2011.

1. macgirl11 macrumors newbie

I am trying to transfer files from a 2008 macbook to a 2007 macbook via ethernet cable.

The 2008 macbook will not turn on past the startup screen right now. We had it looked at at apple and were told that the insides of the computer are healthy, there are just some mixed up files in the root that are inhibiting the computer from turning on. We were then told to plug an ethernet cable or firewire cable into both computers. Turn on the 2007 macbook, and then turn on the 2008 macbook(the one which won't turn on past the startup screen), and press T on the keyboard to put it into target disk mode. the 2008 macbook should then show up as a folder on the desktop of the 2007 macbook.

However, I have tried this with an ethernet cable between the two, and it's not working, no folder is showing up on the screen of the 2007 macbook. What is showing on the screen of the 2008 macbook is the bouncing firewire symbol, which I'm assuming is correct.

Is there any reason why the 2008 macbook folder is not showing up on the 2007 macbook desktop? I've looked through finder etc. to try and find it and am not seeing it.

* I am doing this because I want to pull the files off the 2008 macbook so we can have it serviced.
    * When the guy at the story plugged an external harddrive into the 2008 macbook, he was able to see the files on the computer. However, when I plug MY external harddrive into the computer, nothing happens, it still won't get past the startup screen, etc.

2. nikiwantsadane macrumors newbie

Also..

I tried it on a firewire cable, but the firewire cable won't even work with the external harddrive normally so I'm assuming the cable is broken. Went out to buy a new one and can't find one ANYWHERE!! Not at best buy or apple.

I thought 2007/2008 macbooks were capable of handling the crossover themselves without needing a crossover ethernet cable?

3. navfett macrumors newbie

Did you try making or buying a cross over cable and than tried connecting the two? I dont know if what the previous poster said is true or not since i have never done files xfers between macs. But my experience with PCs and layer 3 switches is that a cross over will work unless the device is able to auto sense it. HTH.