Transferring files from OS 8.5 to 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iisdmitch, Jun 8, 2011.

1. iisdmitch macrumors member

Yes this may sound strange but I work at a University and we have some researchers that have an old Mac running OS 8.5 that they use for an imaging machine. My question, they would like to transfer some images off of this Mac to anything. Since there is no USB, is there way to do this over a network or possibly via crossover cable to another Mac running 10.6?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It may sound a bit hard, but I'd suggest pulling the drive and imaging it on another Mac. Do you know what the 8.5 Mac is?

3. iisdmitch thread starter macrumors member

It's a Powermac 9500/120, I don't have any equipment to hook the hard drive up to.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Upon seeing that those have a SCSI drive, I now suggest going the network route. I'm not too sure how to do that. I've never gotten file sharing to work with anything less the 9.1. You may have to wait until someone else could help you.

5. iisdmitch thread starter macrumors member

6. Tyr. macrumors member

That has an ethernet port right ? Why not connect the two with a crossover cable (or through a hub or router), configure TCP/IP addresses on both and share the files as per Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9: File Sharing.

Edit: if you get TCP/IP configured you could also just use FTP, OSX comes with ftpd and you can probably scrape up an ftp client for 8.5 from some corner of the internet.

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a