Transferring files from OS x 10.5.8 to 10.7.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanharwood, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ryanharwood macrumors newbie

I need help transferring files(pictures, music, documents) from my old mac pro to my new one. The documents aren't that important but it'd be nice to transfer them all. I tried just using an external hard drive but it said files incompatible, and I assume because of the version. Any help would be great, thank you!

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Was the external drive that you were trying to use formatted as NTFS - Mac cannot write to NTFS (there are methods, but not by simple drag and drop).

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What makes you think the drive is formatted as NTFS?
    And with the right software, yes, you can transfer to/from NTFS by simple drag and drop.
    What exact error message did you get about the incompatibility? And what were do doing when you got the message? Were you transferring files, or opening them? If the latter, what app were you using and what document type was it?

4. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Nothing makes me think it was NTFS - it was a question to see if this was a simple fix.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

more details would help

music and pictures should not give you any trouble, the documents I guess could if the new version of the app those documents are used for does not support documents save with a old version than i guess its possible but we would all be guessing at it without details

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since they wrote the files to the drive with their old Mac, that indicates that it wasn't formatted as NTFS, or that they already had NTFS drivers on their old Mac. Also, attempting to write from native Mac OS X to an NTFS-formatted drive wouldn't result in a message saying "files incompatible". Finally, if they were transferring from the external drive to their new Mac, that can be done from an NTFS drive without software, as Mac OS X can natively read NTFS.