Transferring files from PC to Mac question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shu15, May 29, 2009.

1. Shu15 macrumors regular

This will be my first mac. (Can't wait!) I consider myself pretty tech savvy, but when I transfer my iTunes library, can I go into iTunes, select all the songs, put them in a new folder, and transfer that folder to the new Mac? Will the Mac/iTunes automatically sort them and stuff? (My iTunes library is split into 3 different libraries. When opening iTunes, I have to hold down shift and double click and select my .xml to open up my iTunes. Hope this helps explain. ) Any other tips for transferring files over a network? Thanks for all the help! :apple:

2. mogallin macrumors member

Edit(I): Reading your post a bit more careful i see you library was split. Ignore my first suggestion.
    In case you are having iTunes organize your music right now, all you would have to do is copy the itunes map to the music map on your mac.

Another alternative if you can set up sharing so that you can acces your PC itunes folder from the mac is importing all its music and seting up iTunes so it copies all music added to its own library folder. Might actually be set as default :)

IMO transferring files between a mac and a PC is easier than in between two PCs. It might work by just turning on File Sharing in your mac preferences and then navigate to the mac on your PC and drop it in the drop folder. Not quite sure though.

3. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Gotcha, thank you very much. How do you copy the iTunes map to the Mac?

4. mogallin macrumors member

You can do it in, sort of, two directions:

1. You make your Mac available to your PC, then you access your Mac from your PC and drop the iTunes folder, either were in the music folder, or if it's not possible in the drop box folder.
    As i wrote earlier i think to do this you would only have to enable File Sharing on your mac, which is easiliy done in system preferences > Sharing. Not completely sure though...

2. You make your PC available to your Mac, access your PC from the Mac, find the folder and drag it where you want it, likely your music folder.

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3001.html