Transferring Files from PC to Mac via ethernet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Makaveli6103, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I followed the instructions on the migration page but after typing in my iP address and share name in Connect to Server it asks for a Name and Password. I tried every combo I can think of and nothing works. What do I do?

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Wait, you need the password to connect to the mac or the pc? There's not much we can do to help you here, it is your username / password...

3. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am transferring files from my PC to my Mac. But while connecting it asks for my name and password. It is not my password and name for the mac because it says I can save it to my keychain. I am confused what they are asking me to type in from my PC.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are you using a router or a direct connection with a crossover cable? If you're trying to connect directly to the PC from the Mac without a router you'll need to know the login and pass that was set up for the shared volume on the PC; it's not necessarily the same as the user login.

EDIT: I see you added another post before I finished mine. If you're using the PC to log into the Mac, you might need to try the user/pass combination you use to log into your Mac.

5. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I am using a direct connection from my pc to mac. But how would I know my login and password for my shared volume on my pc?

6. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

If you are doing a direct connection, you would have to used a crossover cable, otherwise the PC and Mac won't be able to "see" each other. After that, you may have to set up a sharing folder on your PC and mount that on your mac.

7. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was reading that with Leopard you do not need a cross over cable anymore.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A crossover cable is hardware, not software. Regardless, I doubt your PC is running Leopard.

Are you sitting at the PC trying to log into the Mac, or the other way around? I think I'm confused.

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If your PC user is set to an empty password, you will need to create one to get it to work properly.

Yes, whatever computer you are connecting to, you will use that machine's user/pass to connect to it's shared folder(s).

10. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Because you created it at some point. If you have not, then you will need to.

It really sounds like you are in over your head here. Doesn't the Apple store migrate files for free with a new Mac purchase? That might be the way to go, since it appears that you are no networking guru...