Transferring files from power pc to Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zendoggy, Mar 14, 2009.

1. zendoggy macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a Power Mac 8600 OS 8.1 and would like to transfer files to a New Imac OS 10.5.6.
    The 8600 has a built in 100 zip drive. I was thinking of buying a used Iomega 100 mg external zip to use on my Imac to transfer the files via the removable disks. Will this work? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That method should work. You may also want to try setting up a computer to computer network using a crossover cable. I don't know how well OS X will communicate with OS 8 though.

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

You could do the crossover cable route, and run an FTP on the OS X or OS 8 system (probably easier to do it on X) and just use FTP I think.

Just have to find an FTP client that works on OS8.
    Like an old version of Fetch http://fetchsoftworks.com/downloads.html

4. primalman macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, the Ehternet on Macs will auto-sense if a crossover is needed, using a normal CAT 5 cable. No need to buy a special cable. Just plug the cable into each computer and they should see each other. Go get from the older from the new one.

5. zendoggy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for your help, at least I have options. Someone also suggested sending emails to transfer the files. Currently I don't have the old mac hooked up to internet but could do that short term if necessary. I like the idea of the crossover cable better though, will be checking into that.

6. zendoggy thread starter macrumors newbie

Moving from an Old Mac to a New Mac

This is an article I came across this morning that may be of interest to anyone else in my situation:
    Moving from an Old Mac to a New Mac
    05/09/03
    I’ve received a lot of emails lately asking how to move data from an older Mac to a new one. Now, we’re not talking about a couple of years old, we’re talking Performas from 1993. Yes, there are people out there being highly productive on ten-year-old Macs.

Anyway, very old Macs do pose some unique problems when trying to transfer files to newer Macs. A lot has changed. IDE hard drives are now the standard, and new Macs don’t have SCSI ports. USB and FireWire are now the rage, and the floppy drive is long gone.

The fastest way to transfer, if your old Mac has an Ethernet port, is to connect the old and the new with an Ethernet cable. When I say “fastest” I mean the speed once you get them connected. Actually making the connection can be quite time-consuming and complex, as some older network cards require an adapter and a different cable. If this is your only recourse, email me and we’ll get through it together.

If you have an internet connection (preferably a fast one), you can always email files to yourself from the old Mac, connect the new Mac to the internet, and retrieve the files from the email.

If your old Mac has a floppy drive, copy your files onto floppy disks. Since your new Mac most likely has USB ports, purchase a USB floppy drive (around $39 from online Mac resellers).

If your old Mac had a CD-RW (a CD “burner”), you can burn a CD with your old data and copy it over to the new Mac.

If you have a “newer” old Mac with a FireWire port (or a space to put a FireWire PCI card, around $39 from online Mac resellers), you can connect the old and new Macs through what is called “Target Disk Mode”. In a nutshell, you start the old Mac, connect the old Mac to the new Mac via a FireWire cable, the old Mac’s hard drive shows up on the new Mac’s desktop, and you can transfer any and everything quickly.

Now, what should you move over? No space left this week to cover this fully, but basically, stick to data files. Trying to bring applications over is problematic, and besides, you want to use the new versions – that’s partly why you got the new computer in the first place!

Keep those emails coming to petez@macmaineiac.com, and, as always, Semper Mac! Take care.

7. primalman macrumors 6502a

Perhaps of interest to you:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2274

No crossover cable is needed for you. Just plug them together, the iMac will sense that it should go into crossover mode for the Ethernet port.