Transferring Files From Sony HD to My Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Big Tav, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Big Tav macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone, I have a Sony HDR-CX110E Handycam and have just been travelling and took a heap of footage and filled up a lot of memory cards. I have only just found out the software only runs on a PC and there pmb software won't run on my Mac Pro.

I have opened up iMovie and it seems to recognise the files and I can import them via the USB and it makes a lot of "new events' files. I went into the iMovies folder and it seems to be saving the footage in MOV format. They are pretty big too like a few hundred Mb each. Once these are imported are they safe there like that or is there a better way?

Once all of my events are saved how do you burn them to a DVD? Do they need to be in a better format first like AVI or WMV or something?

Hear from you all soon as I am dying to put my stuff on a disc.

2. simsaladimbamba

As iMovie transcodes the footage to an editing friendly format using an editing codec called Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC), the files get bigger than the ones you recorded. That is to be expected, and yes, that procedure is safe.

As for burning video DVDs, have a look at iDVD and its many tutorials about how to make video DVDs from iMovie projects.

.avi and .wmv are just containers for video using a highly compressive codec, thus there is no need for them for you.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]