Transferring files over ethernet from Leopard to Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lux1, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Lux1 macrumors newbie

I need to transfer several very large (20+ gig) files from my Leopard Macbook to a Vista Home Premium desktop. Due to the file size, I would like to use ethernet rather than Wifi.

I can transfer files between my two mac laptops by just turning off airport and plugging an ethernet cable into both of them, they figure out what to do and I see the other computer in a finder window. Vista, however, isn't so easy. I have never done this before (I rarely use my vista PC), and I have no idea where to start. Could someone help me out?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I don't know if they have changed it in Vista, but otherwise, unlike Macs, Windows needs a special ethernet cable called a crossover cable to transfer data between two of them.

If you don't have a crossover cable, you can still transfer data from one side to the other with a patch cable, but can't go the other way (unless I'm crazy, and was mistakenly using a crossover cable, I have transfered data from a PC to a Mac that way).

It's just a matter of setting up a network on the PC side and then adding the Mac to it.... and praying that it works as it should.

Check out this ridiculously long guide for something that should be easy considering the fact that humans can travel to the moon: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6174109.html

3. Lux1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Jisuo macrumors 6502

On Vista-PC create a new folder and share it. Allow "everyone" to be Co-owner.

Find out the IP of the Vista-PC and write it down (should be 192.168.0.X).

On the Mac press cmd+k and write in the IP for the Vista-PC. Log in if you have a Login on the Vista otherwise just press enter.

Copy and the files into the Vista folder.

Don't have time to explain how to perform every step in extreme detail.