Transferring files that were on a external NTFS hard drive to a Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, May 18, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm new to Mac so I'm sure its user error.

I recently bought a Macbook and I have a external USB hard drive that is formatted NTFS. I copied all of the files off of external HD and pasted them on my Macbook. I slicked the external hard drive and formatted it as FAT32 so I could read & write on both a PC and Mac if I need.

Anyways, once the external hard drive was formatted I tried moving all of the files back to the external but I keep getting and error code once I paste the files on the external drive. It says: "Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred. Error code 0"

Now I'm not sure if the files are locked or what but I need help. I want to move them back to the external drive. It actually copies a few files to the external but nowhere near what all I need. They are just some .doc files that are on there

2. retroneo macrumors 6502a

try dragging and dropping a few at a time and see what happens.

3. p.luik macrumors regular

The FAT32 file system has a 4 GB minus 1 byte file size limit. This may be your problem if dealing with large files.

4. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

That seems to be working. I believe I have a program in there that is about 6gb's. I don't need it as I have the disc. How can I get rid of that program?

5. p.luik macrumors regular

Get rid of that program? Explain please...

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Can I drag it to the trash?

7. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I keep trying to drag it to the trash and it asks for my admin password, I enter it correctly but it doesn't delete it. It just makes a sound like it would normally make when you put something in the trash but it just remains in the same place.