Transferring files to a new Mac: Start fresh, or copy everything over?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacAztec, Feb 25, 2011.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I am moving my system over to a new MBP, from an older MBP. The old system has Snow Leopard (installed when it came out), quite a few files, but I keep it fairly clean (I run Onyx once a month).

If you were starting fresh with a brand new computer, would you hook the machines up via FireWire, and let OS X copy everything (basically cloning your hard drive), or would you back everything up, reinstall all the applications, and then copy over your data files?

Thanks!

2. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

I like to start totally new, and then use dropbox to transfer the documents/preference files I need. I enjoy the feeling of starting totally anew :D

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Do you think it makes a difference in system speed?

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I start all over again.

Over time, too much cruft will build up. Downloads, trial programs, documents, you name it.

It's nice starting with a clean slate. Note, I normally hang on to my old Mac for a while, so if I do remember I need something from it, I just go get it.

I'm beginning to start putting as much as I can onto a central Mac mini server (iTunes content, docs, photos, etc) so I don't try to sync that much, which makes starting clean a pretty easy affair.

5. Annerz macrumors regular

6. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Not especially.

I don't know how customized the kernels might be for the different CPU types. Perhaps someone with some insight could chime in...