Transferring files to bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nickarmadillo, Jun 17, 2009.

1. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

I'm trying to transfer a file to my Bootcamp partition but seem to have come across some trouble. The file is a 7.86Gb iso and I need to move it from my OSX partition onto my Windows XP Bootcamp partition (NTFS formatted). I have an external hard drive and a pen drive but they are of no use. The pen drive is slightly smaller than the file when formatted, and so it cannot fit. The external HD is formatted as Mac OS Journaled and I considered reformatting as FAT32, but this limits file size to 4Gb. Any ideas on how I might get this file transferred?

2. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

3. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

seriously is it really necessary to make a thread about this? You know the answer if you don't wanna format, get larger flash drive or external drive. If you're too cheap for that burn the file onto a Dual-Layer DVD.. stick it into the Macbook.. taadaa problem solved.:apple:

an alternative could also be to slit it up in a bunch of RaR files, transfer bit by bit and then unrar it on the other partition.

4. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

I obviously didn't know the answer, hence the thread. The problem isn't the size of the flash drive/external hard drive. It is that I need to transfer a 8 gig file from OSX to XP but the only format they can both read/write is FAT32, which cannot handle files larger than 4 gig. I was simply wondering if there was a workaround. For example, is it possible to hook up the two computers using ethernet, firewire or USB. If so, how?

5. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Well, they're not really two computers, are they? It's one computer with two partitions. The only way you'll be able to move a file from the OS X partition to the XP partition is to move the file to external storage of some kind (hard drive, flash drive, dual-layer DVD, network storage) in OS X and then move it back to the XP partition.

6. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

The file is currently on my Macbook Pro and I would prefer to simply move it over to my Bootcamp partition on that computer. I have the other iMac in my sig too though, so I could network the two and transfer it over, but I can't figure out how to.