Transferring files to my PowerBook 540?

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Our actions define our legacy
So a few months back, I picked up a PowerBook 540:). I only have one issue with it and thats with the screen:( but I will make another thread for that.

Back to the topic, how can I transfer files to my PowerBook 540? There is no USB port, only some unknown ports and a dial-up port. It has a floppy drive, but I would need another one(to actually put files on it) which I currently can't get.

Its running System 7.1,and is a 68k processor. I need to transfer files from a PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 15in.

Thanks!

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
Central New Jersey/ North Virginia, USA
Well, sadly for you, you don't have a bridge machine. If you had a bridge, or anything with an AppleTalk/LocalTalk port on it as well as a Ethernet/Wifi connection, you could connect the 540 up to say a Wallstreet, then download the files onto the Wallstreet, then transfer them over Appletalk/LocalTalk to the 540, and there you go.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 68040
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Some models have a PC card slot, in which case you could use a PCMCIA/Compact Flash adapter to transfer files?

Failing that, how about getting a USB floppy drive, they're incredibly inexpensive and a worthy investment if you'll be tinkering around with retro computers?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'd second the AAUI-to-RJ45 adapter - it works perfectly, and they can be found inexpensively online. Then you can download directly off the Internet, or turn on FTP sharing on another local machine to share.

Getting a modem connection "locally" is a pain, you need a phone line emulator, and the maximum speed you'll get is 33.6 kbps (higher than that requires a digital signal.)

Plus, almost assuredly, that PowerBook doesn't have a 56k modem. Likely only a 14.4 or 19.2. 60 MB would take about 7 hours, if you're lucky and don't have any problems.

If the individual files are small enough, using a USB floppy drive and "floppy-net"ing the files would work, too.

In short, if you don't have the right adapters already, it is essentially impossible to do - you will need *SOME* form of adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.