Transferring files to new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fresh Tendrils, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

Hi, this weekend I'm buying a 2011 low end 27" imac, and was wondering what's the quickest and most reliable way to transfer my files from my 2009 MPB [160GB. 10.6.8]. Ethernet, 800 to 800 Firewire, or wireless?

I remember that back in 2009 when I tried transferring my files from my ibook G4 to my MBP it failed half way through [400 to 800 firewire]. That was only 30GB, so I'm not too optimisitic about tranferring 160GB :eek: Any idea roughly how long that would take?

Also, is it OK to transfer the files when I'm prompted to when I first turn on my new imac, or should I set up the computer and update Lion etc before transferring my user account over. Thanks!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Run Software Update First

Then why not use the migration assistant? As for cables, FW800 should be your best bet.

3. Fresh Tendrils, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

Fresh Tendrils thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response! I did use migration assistant. But half way through I got a message saying that the transfer had failed. :( I figured that 800 firewire is probably the best bet, but I was just curious about how it compares to ethernet transfer. I'm guessing wireless is probably the slowest and most likely to fail.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes

I transferred my iTunes library (Okay it is pretty big) across from my iMac to my Air....Took 2 Hours!!! Never again...Get those cables out!:)