Transferring files to new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by commentarycrew, Feb 13, 2008.

1. commentarycrew macrumors newbie

Hi, I bought a new 3.0 Pro and I've only ever owned the old G5.
    To transfer my programs and files, do I just connect the two with firewire or something?
    Can I choose what files I want to transfer?
    I appreciate the help. Thank you.

2. snazz123 macrumors newbie

Hello Commentarycrew.

Leopard's "Migration Assistant" which is part of Mac OS 10.5 and higher is probably exactly what you need to check out. As someone who owns a G5 PowerMac too, I'll be using this software to merge my content on to a new Mac Pro I intend to buy soon.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9032.html

Good luck and hope this helps!

SNazz123

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You can directly copy over everything by using Migration Assistant. Apple has a pretty good FAQ outlining what you need to do.

I just got a Mac Mini and decided that I didn't want to use Migration Assistant because my 12" Powerbook was 3 years old. I had used Migration Assistant when I bought the PB to transfer everything from my 6 year old iMac. So, there was essentially nine years of "stuff" and I figured it would be easier to simply transfer the files I needed rather than clutter up the Mini.

I backed up everything to an external hard drive, then connected that to the Mini and simply dragged what I needed onto the Mini. My Mail came over perfectly as did all my Safari bookmarks. Since some of the freeware/shareware I had was quite old, I chose to download new versions rather than copy over the old stuff.

For some reason I didn't copy over my Address Book and erased the external hard drive before I noticed it. Fortunately, all my contacts are on my iPod so I can manually re enter all of them. So, before you delete everything off the old computer, make sure you have all the information off of it that you need.

4. commentarycrew thread starter macrumors newbie