Transferring files to new MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kezman, Feb 28, 2009.

1. kezman macrumors newbie

Well, I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a 17inch Unibody MBP from the 15inch model. I love the size of the 15inch model but really need that extra resolution. I've got a buyer for my old laptop coming round tomorrow and I need to save all of my files and settings. My laptops been backing up to time capsule for the past month or so, will I be able to all of my settings from this or would it be a better idea to create a disk image and use that?

Has everyone else who's done the switch been happy with their new 17incher? I'm kinda worried that it'll be too big as the size of the one i've got now just seems perfect. Need that extra screen space though :rolleyes:.
    Cheers - Kieran

2. ant-macyourself macrumors member

I'm not so sure about cloning the drive and then sticking it in a different model MBP, but recovering the system's contents from Time Capsule will work great. Boot from your Leopard disc, choose "Restore System from Time Machine," and that should be all you need to do.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

a thread was just started about this not long ago.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=657209

you can search through mac rumors at the top right hand corner.

if you want to clone - do it
    or you could restore using time machine
    or you can just drag files using File Share with an ethernet cable (unless you want to wait longer to do it over WiFi)

;) good luck