Transferring files using vmware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WABHJ, Dec 24, 2009.

1. WABHJ macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am completely new to all things mac, and i've just brought the new macbook, so please speak in simple terms when replying!

Here's the situation, I have a portable hard drive with all my songs and videos on, it has been formatted to windows. I have a macbook with snow leopard and I have the program vmware with windows xp professional installed on it. How can I move all my songs so that I can listen to all my songs on itunes on the "apple side" of my computer, i'd also like to do the same with my videos!

Thanks in advance,
    Will

2. acurafan macrumors 6502a

if you want to move your portable files into your macbook, you do not need vm fusion involved. just google and download then install the following free programs: macFuse and ntfs-3g

finally, just plug in usb drive and it will mount the drive and show on your desktop of your macbook.

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Actually to read from an NTFS formatted drive, you don't even need that. OS X can natively read from NTFS formatted drives.

It will need the above to write to it tho, or you can search here and find out how to enable it natively.

If its formatted as FAT then you don't need to do anything to read or write

4. acurafan macrumors 6502a

chris is correct. with snow leopard you can read by default as part of apple's implementation.

i'm still on leopard on my white book...hence my original response :eek:

5. WABHJ thread starter macrumors newbie

when i open it in snow leopard, it doesn't show me all the files in my music folder of my HDD??

EDIT: sorry just being dim, i have found them now!

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Leopard (10.5) can also read NTFS with no additional software FYI

Glad you're sorted