Transferring files via SSH

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by olliea95, Mar 15, 2010.

1. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

I have got the remote login enabled on my mac and I am able to successfully SSH to it from a Windows machine using Putty. Although once I have established the SSH connection, I want to be able to transfer files via it, and I know this is possible using get and put commands.

Although when I'm in the SSH terminal via Putty, and I type 'get <filename> <filename>' it says that get is not a command. The same thing is with put.

Is there something I am missing, or am I trying the wrong commands?

Thanks,
    Ollie

2. olliea95 thread starter macrumors regular

olliea95

Yeah I've just seen that, but I have no idea how to go about using it from the putty terminal. I think I can see how to from a terminal on my mac connecting to an SSH, but I don't get how to do it from a windows machine to mac.

Ideas?

Edit: let me try to explain my set up clearer.

Windows computer running putty ----- SSH -------> mac computer

I want to be able to copy a file from the mac computer to the windows computer when I only have access to the windows computer. I want this done using SSH and preferably not just tunnelling an FTP through it.

EDIT 2: Decided to use PSCP, so I have it all sorted. Thanks.

3. chrysrobyn macrumors member

I'm a major fan of scp. It's encrypted and secure, especially if you are on trusted machines and can use public / private keys in non-interactive mode.

From your Windows machine, try doing something like:
    scp user@192.168.1.1:c:\ntldr .
    In this context, user is the userid might be Administrator. If you go to c:\Documents and Settings\ you might see another name that looks familiar. 192.168.1.1, of course, is the IP address of the other computer. You might have a name to type here, but when you're learning to crawl, the IP is handy. After the colon is the path to what you're looking for. Dir/x will show you some shorter names to type in -- like c:\Documents and Settings is c:\DOCUME~1\ on my machine.

With all that said, you may prefer a GUI scp client. Google for windows scp and see what pops up. I've never used it, but winscp.net seems to have something useful enough. The UI may look like many ftp clients to you, but it's much more secure. Personally, I only use Windows at work, and I feel most comfortable within the confines of my text only Cygwin window, and I can use scp in a very familiar looking environment there.