transferring files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjjeser, Feb 28, 2011.

1. jjjeser macrumors newbie

I have an aluminum macbook from 2008 I think that has a broken screen so I can't see anything on it and just bought a brand new mac pro but am not sure of how to get files from one to the other since the old macbook doesn't have a fire wire port. Can I just use a USB chord and connect the two? If this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry but thanks for your help.

2. Rellikard macrumors newbie

Will need to connect it to an external monitor and use an external hard drive or remove the hard drive and purchase an enclosure/dock. Places like Best Buy have no restock fee and 30-day return period on enclosures and external hard drives. Can buy one and return once done.

Enclosure = Taking your MacBook's internal hard drive, putting inside of a box which turns it into an external hard drive. Without a Firewire transfer, that's your best bet.

3. gameface macrumors 6502

If they're both on the same network, turn the broke laptop on (as long as it auto log-ins) and get whatever you need and transfer them over the network. Being plugged into ethernet will be faster but you could do it over wi-fi if needed.

4. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Connect the two with a Ethernet cable and use Migration Assistant. You'll need to use an external monitor on the broke MacBook to start Migration Assistant. This will be much faster than over a wireless network.

5. jjjeser thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a mini display port to hook up the broken screen laptop to my tv but the tv screen is set to be an extension of the broken laptop screen instead of mirroring it. I don't know of if there is a way to change this setting without going into the preferences screen. Is there an easy way to change that? Thanks for your help, looking into these options already said.

6. Sudaddy macrumors member

If you know your laptop's ip address, can you remote into your laptop from another computer? If yes, then you can either enable the mirroring so you can use the external monitor, or you can just transfer files directly to another laptop using Dropbox or something.