Transferring Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JordanLB23, Mar 25, 2008.

1. JordanLB23 macrumors regular

what kind of cable do i need to connect a mac book pro to my old pc laptop to transfer files like music videos and photoshop files?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You'd need to connect over a network. If you don't currently have a WiFi or Ethernet network to use, a standard Ethernet cord between the two would work. Then you'd enable file sharing on your PC, and connect to it from your Mac to copy files.

3. scr1968 macrumors regular

That is more than likely not going to work. PCs don't have a concept of "target mode" like a Mac does.

You will have to use something like a thumb drive or an external HD as the middle man to transfer the files back and forth. Or copy them to some place on the net like a .Mac account.

SCR

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Not really. See 2 posts above.

5. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

ok i might just a buy an external hard drive...

would that be easier? how would i set it up?

would it be possible to transfer my ipod to my mac? like get the songs from my ipod and stuff onto my mac?

also i have a jailbroken ipod would the ipod go back to normal if i plug it onto the new mac?

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

your songs should be in your itunes folder on your PC you just move that to your mac and drop them in the library

i'd just get like a 4gb pen drive or something, or you can pick up a western digital passport drive that would work, all you do is plug it in, both systems will see it