Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erostratus

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2006
The easiest way to transfer your music from an older Mac to the new MacBook is to connect both of the Macs to a network. Since the new MacBook does not have FireWire, you can't use target disk mode. However, you can still use the Migration Assistant (/Applications/Utilities folder) to transfer data from your old Mac to your new one if both are connected to the same network (wired or wireless).

Just connect the old Mac to the network and open Migration Assistant. Then, fire up your new MacBook, open Migration Assistant, and tell it you want to transfer data FROM another computer, then click on "Use Network." As long as your older Mac is running the latest version of Tiger or Leopard, you should be good.

Hope this helps!

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Edit: 2 seconds after posting, and reading your post again....... it is absolutely awful that new MacBooks do not have firewire. One reason I will never buy it or the new model MBP.

:p

gcortese

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Transferring all files from ibook G4 to new MacBook

I bought my daughter a new MacBook and I want to transfer all files from the older ibook G4 to the new MacBook aluminum using a firewire but I do not know what kind of firewire I need and how to do it once I purchase the correct firewire. Please help

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Is yours a Macbook Pro, or the regular Macbook?

The regular MB doesn't have Firewire, so your best course would be DVDs or an external drive, depending on how much stuff you are transferring.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Or connect the two directly using an ethernet cable and use Migration Assistant (admittedly I've never used Migration Assistant over ethernet, so I'm only assuming it works as well as firewire)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.