Transferring Final Cut/iMovie Projects Over Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ConnorTurnbull, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

I'm hoping to pick up both a desktop and a notebook this year (one being a 2011 model, one being a 2012 model).

I've sold my 11" Air because it's too small and am now in need of a MacBook. However, the only one I could really justify right now is the baseline 13" Pro or Air. If I got an iMac when they're refreshed, i'd likely get a higher spec one.

My question is, if I have Final Cut or iMovie on my MacBook and create a project, is it easy enough to hook it up to my desktop through Thunderbolt and transfer full projects (and clips) over target disk mode? and vice versa, can I create a project on my desktop and then transfer them to a notebook for taking on the go to make final minor edits? Are Apple's video app's architectures setup in a way that means this can be done.

If not, it likely means i'm going to have to wait a few more months until I can get a notebook, since i'll need to get a higher spec one. :(

----------

Or, alternatively, can I simply hook up a MacBook to my future iMac and then work in Final Cut/iMovie as if it were simply an external disk. So no need to move files, simply making Final Cut/iMovie's directory being on the MacBook?

Thanks for any help.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Yes, i think you'll be OK and should be able to easily transfer projects and events between disks.
    I do something similar at the moment with my Firewire800 drives. I tend to use imovie and keep all my events and projects on the external drive. If I accidentally create an event on my internal drive I can simply move it across to the external quickly and easily - would be even quicker with Thunderbolt ;)
    If worst came to the worst you could transfer the project and events to an external drive, and then transfer across to another system? Can't see why you wouldn't be able to do it direct though.

3. ConnorTurnbull thread starter macrumors 6502

So essentially, editing using a MacBook's hard drive over Thunderbolt/Firewire is just the same as editing using an external hard drive as storage?