Transferring folders from Outlook Express to iMail or Outlook for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rogercorke, Oct 3, 2012.

1. rogercorke macrumors newbie

I have been using Outlook Express on a PC and have a load of archived emails in folders I want to transfer. Ideally I would like to go to Outlook for Mac, which I have downloaded, as you can put a read receipt on emails sent from there.

Alternatively I can use iMail.

Does anyone know of a way of transferring these folders over?

roger

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

If there is a way it's probably painful, involves third party software and may not work even then.. or at least that was my experience last time I tried it, which was admittedly, some time ago..

Easiest, if you can, is to set up a new (temporary) IMAP mail account in Outlook Express and move/copy your mail to that account - this then stores all the emails on the host server in a standard format that just about any mail app can access. Depending on how much mail you have and the network speed available, it may take a while for all of it to upload.

Set up Mail / Outlook on the Mac to use the same IMAP account and all of your mail will download to the new machine.

Set up your original mail account on the new machine too, and drag the folders across into it.
    (Personally I'd recommend you set that up as an IMAP account too, if your host allows it - that way their mail server acts as your backup, and it also means you can set up and access synchronised mail on multiple machines/devices)

Delete the second (temporary) IMAP account.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Install Thunderbird on your PC and use it to import the Outlook Express mail.

Then use Thunderbird to export as mbox. Move the mbox files to OS X and then use Mail app to import the mbox files.