Transferring from external to notebook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by djonemic, Dec 28, 2009.

1. djonemic macrumors newbie

Hi ya'll,

I just got a new macbook pro and I have all my itunes music from my previous macbook pro on an external hard drive. I'd like to run my music off the external but when I drag the files into the itunes screen it automatically transfers the files. Once again I want to run the music files off of my external not my laptop, so how can I get the songs in my library without putting them on the actual internal hard drive. I know I won't be able to listen to the songs without the external plugged in but thats what I want.

Thanks!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Congrats on the new MBP!

This all depends on how you have it setup on your external. If your external has the actual "iTunes" folder (containing the iTunes Library file, the "iTunes Music" folder, etc.) then this'll be easy. Just open up iTunes, go to the iTunes menu in the menu bar and select Preferences. Go to "Advanced" and change the location of the iTunes Music Folder to the location of the "iTunes Music" folder on your external.

Let us know if that works. Or, if that's *not* how you have it setup, there's another way...

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is also the highlighted setting that interferes with your wishes.

[​IMG]

4. djonemic thread starter macrumors newbie

5. djonemic thread starter macrumors newbie

Question for spin,

should that box be checked off or no?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depends on what you wanna do?
    Checked if you want all the music that you open with iTunes (by dragging it to it or CMD+O) copied to the designated library or unchecked if you want the music not copied.

7. djonemic thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wanna make sure my computers internal hard drive is clear of any music, and make sure my music is completely running from the external.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then uncheck it.