Transferring from iMac to used MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KRIZEANS, Jan 8, 2013.

1. KRIZEANS macrumors newbie

I'm selling my iMac for a used MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro I bought still hasn't arrived and I need to send off the iMac. The MacBook Pro is coming preloaded with some great software such as Final Cut Pro, reason, logic. So, I don't want the new computer to act like my old iMac but a there is some software and photos that I want to transfer obviously. What is the best way to do this? Migration Assitant or Time Machine? Or back up everything on external HD?

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I'd probably back up everything from your iMac onto an external HD. You could then load the HD and copy files and stuff that you need from it onto the MacBook Pro.

I'm not really experienced in the "backing up" field regarding Macs, so that's just my two cents.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If I bought a used computer I'd reformat the HDD first. Unless that's all pirated software it should be easy to reinstall it.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just backup the existing computer with Time Machine then use that TM backup with Migration Assistant on the new computer to bring in all your data. It will not wipe existing apps on the new machine.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Same here. I agree.

6. KRIZEANS thread starter macrumors newbie

The software on the MacBook Pro I'm getting is licensed but already installed. I'm not getting the discs.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

As long as you have the license's you should be able to reinstall it. You'll have to figure out where to get the install files.

A used OS could contain key loggers and other crap, could be a mess who knows what the original seller did. Always reinstall the OS on a used computer.

8. KRIZEANS thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea where I would find the install files? This is assuming I don't get the discs

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro are available on the Apple App Store.

You'll need his iTunes account name and password to re-install or even update them. I don't think iTunes accounts are transferrable or combinable.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Discs? For SOFTWARE? That's a crazy world you're living in...