Transferring from iphone 3GS to iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 19Lefty90, Mar 5, 2012.

1. 19Lefty90 macrumors newbie

I am trying to restore my iphone 3G from an iphone 3GS backup. I know...why? I had my iphone 3GS stolen and so am having to downgrade to my brothers old 3G. Is this possible? I tried doing the normal steps on itunes and came to a message saying that i had to set up the phone as a new iphone then upgrade the version on the new iphone (my 3G iphone) and then transfer, however the 3G is already at its current 4.2.1 version.

2. normanbates macrumors regular

3GS supports iOS 5, 3G doesnt

3. 19Lefty90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does that mean i have no way of transferring anything over, not even just my contacts?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If your 3GS backup was made while it was on any firmware 4.3 or higher then you wont be able to restore it to an iphone 3G.
    Since the iphone 3G can only accept backup files made on 4.2.1 and below since 4.2.1 is the highest firmware the iphone 3G can update to.
    Anyway, restore it and when it asks you if you want to restore from backup or set up as new select restore from backup and you will see what options you have available there.

5. 19Lefty90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes my last backup was made on firmware definitely higher than 4.3. Thanks for the confirmation.

Two other questions...

1.How come i only have one backup from my previous phone (the most recent) as I have definitely backed it up more than once over the past 2 years i have had it.

2.I can transfer my backup onto my brothers iphone 4S temporarily can't I? If so can i some way send my contact information to my 3G from the 4S similar to sending business cards on older standard phones?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

1. I believe itunes stopped making multiple backups of different ios version of the same device/phone number and just overwrites and keeps one backup file. So if the last one you made was on 5.0.1 for example it updated the old one you maybe made months ago on 4.3.3

Yes, you can restore your backup to another 4S, i4 or 3GS that's on the latest 5.0.1
    Then you can copy your contacts from that iphone to the computer and then sync them back with itunes on your iphone 3G.
    Go to itunes, select the iphone on the left and then go to the info tab on the top. Then select the box "sync contacts with"
    Then you can copy contacts back and forth from your iphone to the computer and vice versa.
    Good luck.

7. 19Lefty90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much

8. 19Lefty90 thread starter macrumors newbie

im struggling here lol.how do i copy the contacts off the iphone 4s to the computer?

----------

im struggling here lol.how do i copy the contacts off the iphone 4s to the computer?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you plug it to itunes?
    Click on the iphone on the left, then the info tab on the top of the page and go to "sync contacts with"

10. 19Lefty90 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes its plugged in and linked to itunes.i go on info then a tick box next to sync address book contacts can be ticked then under that all contacts can be chosen.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok, then click sync and all contacts should be copied over to address book on that computer.

12. 19Lefty90 thread starter macrumors newbie

where do i access the address book on the computer, ther is no tab for it on itunes

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

C:\Users\*yourname*\Contacts

14. 19Lefty90 thread starter macrumors newbie

im on mac

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry, I dont have a Mac in front of me right now but try searching for "contacts" or address book.