Transferring from iPhone 4 to iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ohmygahitscoby, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ohmygahitscoby macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I dropped my iPhone 4 and the screen cracked, so I'm temporarily not going to be using it until I get it fixed just to be sure no shards come off from the screen onto my clothing and what not. Anyways, I have an old iPhone 3G that I will be using, and I was wondering how I would go about setting up everything from my iPhone 4 to the 3G. I backed up the iPhone 4 and have a micro SIM to SIM adapter, but is there anything else I should do? Do I just need to plug in the iPhone 3g and restore it from the save from the iPhone 4? Also, will I get into any trouble by ATT if I switch to the 3g temporarily? Let me know, thanks!

-Coby

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That's all you have to do, and you won't get in trouble with AT&T because you haven't changed plans.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You'll need to exchange the SIMs, restore from backup, and sync your media from your computer to the iPhone 3G (the iPhone backup does not contain music, videos, apps, etc.).

4. ohmygahitscoby thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks guys. I'm downloading the iOS for the 3G as we speak. One last thing, I won't have any problems restoring the iPhone 4 from the backup of the iPhone 3G (That used the backup of the iPhone 4), correct? Thanks again for all the help.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Nope. When you get your new iPhone 4/5 it will restore from a 3G backup just fine.

6. ohmygahitscoby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I had my iPhone 4 updated to 4.3.3 but the iPhone 3G firmware only goes up to 4.2.1 (I don't have the 3GS), so I can only restore from an old backup, but it should be sufficient for what I need. Thanks again everyone for the help.