Transferring from Mac to another?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmebbk, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jmebbk macrumors regular

What's is the beet way to transfer iTunes purchased music from one Mac to another?

Do I just copy the folder onto my portable harddrive like a drag and drop thing and then transfer it to my new Mac?

2. russ99 macrumors member

If you sign in with your iTunes password and you use iTunes match, all your music will be on your new computer when you sign in.

If not, the best method is to use the new library on the new computer, and drag the folders/files from your external drive into the iTunes window. If you have space, I'd keep the iTunes location on your computer while doing this process to make it faster, then transfer it over to an external drive after the iTunes library is built.

You can point iTunes to the old library location on the external drive, but I've found that trying to transfer a library from one system to another is problematic. It's best to start fresh.

3. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks for the reply
    So basically copy the iTunes music on my old Mac to a portable harddrive and then connect the drive to my new Mac and then drag and drop all the music on to iTunes?