Transferring from mac to mac- firewire question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gravyboat, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. gravyboat macrumors member

    Nov 26, 2005
    Okay, I'm unclear on the concept and would appreciate any help.

    1. I'm transferring data from a G4 eMac to an Intel (white) iMac. The eMac has Firewire 400 and the iMac has Firewire 800. Which cable do I need? 4, 6, 8 pin?

    2. I'd also like to transfer from data from a friend's old iMac G3 400 mhz to the G4 eMac. System profiler doesn't seem to indicate what the Firewire "speed" (if that's the correct term). Which cable would I use for this?

    Thanks very much.
  2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000


    Apr 10, 2007
    I've never seen a FW400-FW800 cable, but maybe it's out there. Just use FW400 on your iMac.

    Boot up the G4 eMac, holding down the "T" key until the screen shows the Firewire symbol. Then get a FW400 cable, connect it to the eMac, then connect it to your iMac. It will mount as an external drive. Transfer from there (you can use migration assistant to transfer accounts, or just drag the files you need).
  3. swiftaw macrumors 603


    Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    You need a 6-pin to 6-pin FW400 cable. Connect it to your FW400 ports on both macs.
  4. Poeben macrumors 6502

    Jul 29, 2004
    Not only are there cables but adapters too (although I wouldn't spend $40 for a Belkin cable, just an example.) So, if you only have FW800 on your iMac for some reason there is still plenty of hope.
  5. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 26, 2005
    Thanks to all for the great information. You've saved me from buying or (hopefully) borrowing the wrong cable. Much appreciated.

Share This Page