Transferring from PC to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bgsnmky, Dec 14, 2012.

1. bgsnmky macrumors regular

So I got my notice today that my new Imac should be here on the 19th.

I am transitioning from the pc world to Mac.
    I bought my MacAir about 2 months ago. But I did not transfer a bunch of files or as I knew I would be getting the iMac and that will be my main working computer 90% of the time.

I also have a My Book Live Duo in the box ready to be setup.

I did by the one on one from Apple and they can transfer my files for me etc.

BUT I was looking for best practices and lessons learned from those who have transitioned from one computer (pc to mac mainly) or mac to mac.

For example here are some things I need to think about and if I had time to do I would do.

- Make a list of all the software on my PC that I really use (I have old stuff - that I don't need etc)
    - Make a list of all my favorites in Ie.
    - Delete old files I don't need (Duplicate pictures, word, excel, anything like that)
    - Need to decide what to do with outlook emails. for the past 6 months since I have had my iphone I have had my email going to apple mail, but there are OLD emails I need for my work. How do I get those to go into my apple mail - will the apple store be able to move those. Looking for best practice on this stuff.

Anyway..looking for any suggestions to make it smoother. Answers to the above, but also more as those of you who have done this before.....

Thanks.

2. CaptMike macrumors regular

CaptMike

I will be going through the same issues as my imac will be coming soon

I know that I will be doing it myself thru the help of apple care and the Migration Assistant program.

Right now, I think the least time consuming for me it to transfer all files to the imac and then sort through and delete all unwanted emails, dup photos, ect.

3. bgsnmky thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Capt. Mike...that is what I am thinking too...is just do it on the mac..but hate to load something up that doesn't need to be there..but ohhh I hate doing it on the pc..that takes for ever to even open files!

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Is your email on an IMAP or POP server? If it is IMAP, you can just log into the account via Mac Mail and it will sync with your server.

All of your other stuff should just be able to be copied over to the Mac...you can export your Internet Favorites to a file and add them to Safari, your pictures can be copied over and imported into iPhoto, etc.

Here is a link that might explain a little better: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518

5. bgsnmky thread starter macrumors regular

My email's are imap...

SO really they should be syned up now..I think you are saying..as it goes ot my apple mail on my phone and my mac air. I need to look and see how far back they are..

Thanks.