Transferring from PC to Mac...tried everything and nothing works

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by switcher3365, Mar 14, 2008.

1. switcher3365 macrumors regular

First and foremost, I want to state that I have done all of the searching I could do before posting this message.

I am trying to transfer files from my Windows XP Home PC to my new MBP. I am trying to do this over my wireless network router.

I have set up the shared folder in Windows.

However, NOTHING is appearing in the mac.

I've even cut my Windows Firewall ALL the way off...

When I go to the "connect the server" thing in Finder and type in the IP address "smb://32432/filename", I get error messages.

I have been doing this for hours now and it is getting very frustrating. What can I do to fix this and allow my Mac to see my PC shared folder?

2. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Have you tried using an external drive? You can also use your ipod.

You can also try using an ethernet cable, although, i'm not too sure how this would work...

3. switcher3365 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have an external drive or an iPod...yet...

4. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

5. switcher3365 thread starter macrumors regular

That is the website that I started with. I did everything that it said, and the Mac will not recognize the server. Even when I manually type in the PC's IP address, it will not connect.

6. macdoobie macrumors member

I am having the same problem right now.

Trying to transfer 162gb of music between computers...connecting an ethernet cable between laptops DOES NOT work. Nothing shows up in the leopard network browser....wtf

7. switcher3365 thread starter macrumors regular

So, I solved my own problem. I never got the network to work wirelessly.

I gave the Ethernet cable thing another try. Last night, I tried to connect the two, but forgot that I had disabled my PC's ethernet port a a year ago when I bought my wireless card. So, I enabled that port, ran the Windows "set up a new network" thing, and I can FINALLY start transferring files because I see my PC shared folder on my Mac.

I spent SOOOOOO many hours trying to figure this out last night.

On with finally starting the process to get rid of my old PC.....:D

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Sweet :)

9. switcher3365 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually my ethernet connection was dreadfully slow for some reason. It was going to take an hour to copy 300 mb.

So, I tried the wireless thing again, and connected to this MegaHoc v.24 network thing that I saw on both computers, and THAT WAS THE THING I WAS SUPPOSED TO CONNECT TO THIS WHOLE TIME!!!

I thought that I would connect through the wireless network that I used for my internet connection, but apparently, I had to connect through a separate network. The network was listed on Windows as a peer-to-peer computer wireless connection. I wish I caught that last night.

The transfer speed was a lot faster too.

10. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

It sounds like your PC has stepped in some pretty deep doo-doo.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=602

Scroll down that page about half way to see this list.