Transferring from Sony DCR SX43 to iMac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by suzetta, Nov 6, 2010.

1. suzetta macrumors newbie

I bought this little handycam which has an SD card and came with a USB wire. When I tried to import video into iMovie via the USB, nothing appeared to happen. I tried opening it in Quicktime as well - nada.
    My son was able to edit a short movie on a friend's PC which has an SD slot. But I'd hate to think this handycam won't let me edit stuff on my Mac.

I'm not a techy kind of person, but I have a Firewire - can I do a USB to firewire connection somehow and would that help? Will I need to buy an external hard drive?

2. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Did iMovie see the camera? When I plug my camera into my Mac and import using FCE, FCE can see it but it takes a while for it to bring in enough clip info to display. Sometimes, quite a while...

Can you try "Making a backup copy of the contents of your camcorder" via iMovie and then bringing that in. At least this way, you'll have a copy of the lot. Check iMovie help and look for "archive".

Also, here's an interesting knowledge base article on that camera.

3. suzetta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply Martin, haven't tested your suggestions yet but one question: what is FCE?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Final Cut Express. It's a more sophisticated video editor than iMovie.