Transferring Hard drive to new MBP. Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bennygoodx, Mar 17, 2009.

1. bennygoodx macrumors newbie

Hi guys- I'm finally upgrading to an MBP Pro. It's on its way.

I've never done a complete copy/transfer of files and programs from one computer to the next via firewire.

Does anyone have a link to this firewire process or can explain how to do it? My old computer is firewire 400, new mbp is 800. Does that matter? /Will it completely transfer most or all programs, preferences, history/cookies (without needing install discs)?

Thanks so much!

2. silentsage macrumors member

You'll need a converter cable to go from 400 to 800 Firewire. They're cheap ($5) and work OK.

When you start up your new machine it will ask you if you want to transfer your account from another computer. Say yes, hook up the cable, boot the old laptop in target disk mode (hold down the T key then power it up).

All the files, apps, and data on your old machine under your old account will transfer to the new one.

If you have other accounts to transfer, use the "Migration Assistant" in the Utilities folder.

3. bennygoodx thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Thanks for that info.

Anyone know if it copies all programs too? Anyone experience certain apps or programs that didn't copy?

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

Yep converter cable mate... but it wont be as fast...