Transferring HD from MBP to Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Boss Man, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

If I have a HD in a MBP with both OSX and Windows XP through bootcamp, can I take this HD and install it in a new Mini and have it work without re-installing either OS?

2. finnschi macrumors 6502

NO, you should use the "migrate" function ! :eek: the Mbp uses a special build of OSX, (power save features..) and it might not work with the mini

although if its a "old" MBP you might have a chanche that it works! get a external enclosure(or 2.5" sata----> USB/Firewire cable) and then use "Carbon copy cloner" or "super duper" (I recomeend super duper) to clone your harddrive, but make sure you use DHCP instead of a assigned ip, because both macs would have the same ip :p

Good luck

3. Big Boss Man thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. Does migrate also work with Windows XP/bootcamp?

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

No, you would need to reinstall windows on your new mini.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Not necessarily. One could use CCC to move the OS X partition to a temporary volume, then erase the OS X volume without doing anything to the Windows volume, then run OS X installer, then use Migration Assistant to move files from the temporary volume to the erased volume. One potential problem is if the Win volume is through Boot Camp and not Parallels/Fusion, in which case there could be driver issues.

6. Big Boss Man thread starter macrumors regular

This would be Windows through Bootcamp. It sounds like that would be the tricky part. I have not actually installed Windows yet on my existing HD. I have some apps with a limited number of re-installs and I don't want to waste those. I will probably just hold off and do a fresh install once I get the HDs situated. Thanks for the replies.