Transferring health data to new phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by largefarrva, Aug 4, 2016.

1. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering if restoring from an iCloud backup will transfer my health data from my old phone to a new one. From what I'm reading, iCloud backups are encrypted so I'm assuming it will work. Or is the only way to do this is by creating an encrypted iTunes backup on my macbook and restoring from that backup? Not a pressing issue but I would like to get this figured out before next month when I get the new iPhone.

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Both iCloud backup and encrypted iTunes will transfer your health data over. Pick which method is easier for you. I personally do iTunes, so all my movies, music and apps don't have to redownload. Takes longer than just syncing if you already have them on your computer.

3. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok cool. I have always just used iCloud in the past but never really worried about the health data before now since I got my Apple Watch last year. I'd hate to lose all those workouts and awards and such. Good point about the iTunes backup though...I can see how it would save time.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I always create both backups. Manually create an encrypted iTunes 1-2 times a week and automatic iCloud backup nightly. Just incase one were to be corrupt I have a backup. I have experienced both corrupt iTunes and corrupt iCloud backups in the past.