Transferring High Schools?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MonksMac, Nov 16, 2009.

1. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I'm currently a junior (11th Grade) and I am thinking of transferring to another school within my district.

However I don't know if it is worth it to switch this late in the game or whether it would be beneficial.

The other school is the one that I would have gone to had my neighborhood not been rezoned a few years ago. It has a considerably better academic, athletic, and sending to 4 Year college rate than my current school does.
    I feel that by switching to the other school that my grades would improve and give me a greater incentive to work even harder (I feel like since the rezoning, the schools that I've gone to are much easier and you can get away with more stuff. Just passing-not A's and B's, etc.)

What should I do? Am I crazy to even suggest that I do this?:apple:

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Do it, you'll soon learn that high school is fun while you're there, but college will be better, much much better. If you can get into a better college by going to this high school (or at least have a better choice of colleges after graduation), by all means do it. I imagine, at your age, you probably have a car, which means you'll be able to visit any old friends that you may not see as much when you transfer.

3. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Thanks for responding so quickly. :cool:

It seems like the logical step to take, but I still have a few reservations about doing so.
    I'm afraid to join the same kind of teams like Debate and Academic Decathalon-like I'd be betraying my old teammates and school.
    My school now is a pretty diverse place with all kinds of students, and the other is predominantly non-minority and higher income (Will the change be a big deal?).
    Sorry for so many questions, but I have a feeling I should have tried to do this in Fresh or Soph year...

4. pcb macrumors member

pcb

If your waiting through junior year to transfer i.e. for senior year dont do it. There is no benefit. Colleges dont care about your senior year grades and info. Its all your test scores (ACT, SAT) and your first three year grades, any honest guidance counselor will tell you. Plus you have friends at your current school and are happy there. Why change all of that with no real benefit?

5. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I wouldn't do it. People have already formed groups, cliques, friendships, etc. this late in the game; it will be much more difficult for you to infiltrate an already formed group and make friends at that high school than it would to just stick it out at the one you already attend. Additionally, do colleges really care where you went to high school, unless it is some fancy ass boarding/prep school? Most of the colleges around here treat all the public schools fairly equally, hell, if you came from a more diverse school with lower average academics and you performed well, you'd probably have a better shot at being accepted.