transferring idvd to imovie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fisherman49, Nov 6, 2009.

1. fisherman49 macrumors newbie

I used one step dvd in iDVD6 transfer some video from my handicam to a cd. I now want to download this to iMovie but I can't seem to do this. Do I have to convert my iDVD to an MP4 file first then download to iMovie? If not how does one carry out this transfer so that I can edit this video in iMovie.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can try tricking iMovie into treating the DVD you burned as a camcorder by creating a disk image of the burned disc using Disk Utility. Select the inserted CD/DVD in the sidebar of Disk Utility, click on the New Image button in the toolbar, create a CD/DVD master with no encryption, and then specify where the image is to be written. After the image has been created, mount the image by double clicking it, then launch iMovie, and try importing. Alternatively if that doesn't work for you, you may need to involve other software like Roxio Popcorn, Handbrake, etc to rip from the DVD. The simplest solution would just be to find out if there is any way to hook your Handycam directly to the Mac via USB/FireWire and doing a regular import assuming the camcorder is compatible.

3. fisherman49 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tried that already. Made a disk copy and put it on my desktop and then tried to drag it to iMovie but it wouldn't let me do it. I used mactheripper freeware to do this but it doesn't seem to want to let me import the diskcopy.