Transferring iMac G3 data to new HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RoboCop001, Feb 6, 2008.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hey everyone.

I've got an iMac G3 with a HD that's about... maybe 4 years old now? So I'm thinking it's time for a new one just as a precaution, and more so because it's running out of space.

I know that disk utility can make a disk image of the HD. But since I'm getting a larger drive, would that somehow be a problem? The disk image would be smaller than the new drive, but would that matter? Would it need a matching size?

I already have an external HD case that is compatible with the internal HDs that the iMac uses because I got it upgraded before (used the old drive as extra storage), so I was thinking I'd disk image the internal HD onto a new drive using my MacBook Pro. That's because the iMac only has Ethernet and USB 1. Then I would apply that disk image onto the new HD, and put the new HD into the iMac.

Is there a better way to do it? Do I really need to make a disk image? My concern is just getting all the invisible files. I need everything to come over.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I'd boot the iMac into target disk mode, connect it to the MBP and also the connect the MBP to the new drive which would temporarily be in the external enclosure. Use the "restore" feature in disk utility with the iMac internal as the source, and the new drive in the external as the destination. When the copy is complete, you should be able to swap the new drive back in.

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

If I remember correctly, the iMac G3s cannot be booted into target disk mode. Don't hold me to that though. I do know that you cannot use target disk mode on Power Mac G3s though.

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I'm pretty sure I've done it with my 500 MHz G3 iBook, but I just checked and on my 350 MHz B & W it is not giving me that option. So maybe not., sorry OP.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

i know booted my old g3 400 imac in target mode. you have to have firewire to do it IIRC and some of the older g3 imacs only had usb

6. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have the model without FireWire, so therefore I can't do target disk mode :)